Jump to:   Australia  |  Canada  |  New Zealand  |  United Kingdom  |  United States


Students who hold a BNO / HKSAR passport and plan to study in Australia for 3 months or more need to apply for a student visa before departure. The application usually takes 2 to 4 weeks. Students also need to go to a clinic designated by the Australian Consulate for a body check. The consulate will approve the visa based on the documents and medical report submitted by the student.

For more details, please refer to Australian Consulate General Hong Kong.


In order to study in Canada, you will need to obtain a Canadian study permit, which serves as a Canadian student visa for the duration of your stay. You do not need a Canadian study permit if your course or program lasts six months or less.

You must have a passport valid for at least one year when you are applying for a student visa. Additionally, students must also submit a study plan, original transcripts for the last three years academic results, visa fees, passport photos, financial certification, school admission letter, school or employment certificate, and birth certificate. For visa issuance, it will usually take four to six weeks for Hong Kong students, and it may take longer time for Chinese students.

For more details, please refer to Consulate General of Canada, Hong Kong.

New Zealand

Students who plan to study in New Zealand for more than 3 months must apply for a student visa. The documents required for a student visa are as follows:

  • School admission letter and tuition bill
  • Guaranteed accommodation proof provided by school or a relative or friend
  • Applicants aged below 16 need to submit a letter of parental consent
  • Transcript for recent 2 years or proof of work
  • Economic proof: original bank statement, time deposit or bank letter etc.
  • Good citizen card: If the applicant is over 17 years old and enrolled in a course of more than 2 years, students must present a good citizen card when applying for a visa
  • Body Check: If the applicant is enrolled in a course longer than 1 year, a detailed body check is required; if the length of the course is between half a year and one year, only a tuberculosis fluoroscopy report is required

For more details, please refer to New Zealand Consulate.

United Kingdom

According to UK entry visa requirements, students holding a BNO / HKSAR passport to study in the UK for more than 6 months or more must apply for a student visa (Student Visa Tier 4 PBS) before departure. The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before you start your course. You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 7-15 working days.

If you want to study in the UK, your course length, type and place of study affect which visa to apply for.

A short-term study visa lets you to study for up to 6 months (11 months if you’re over 16 and studying an English language course).

A general student visa is for a longer course. You must be sponsored by a licensed college or university and have a confirmed place. You can do some work on this visa.

A child student visa is for 4 to 17 year olds who want to study at an independent school. If you’re 16 or over, you can do some work on this visa.

Different kinds of student visa will require for different kinds of documents. Generally, students need to submit online application form, passport valid for at least 6 months, school admission letter and tuition bill, academic credentials, economic proof, passport photo and birth certificate.

For more details, please refer to British Consulate-General Hong Kong.

United States

Visas are required for all students entering the United States. The required documents include DS-160 online application form, visa fee, a designated format passport photo, bank certificate, birth certificate, tax guarantor of the financial guarantor, transcript for recent 3 years, public exam results, TOEFL / IELTS results , Proof of work, I-20 form, SEVIS fee.
For more details, please refer to Consulate General of the United States.

* The above information is for reference only, subject to the information of the consulate.